Check out these resources & articles to get you out on the open road in your RV stress-free! A quick guide on the “must know” things to RV which covers accessories, towing, and hooking up at RV sites.
There are a lot of cool gadgets and things to make your RV experience more fun, but here are the basic essentials that you need for your RV. These items will get you ready for camping with full hook-ups at an RV park.
- Sewer hose
- Power cord (if not integrated)
- Surge protector
- Water hose
- Black tank hose (to rinse sewer hose)
- Water pressure regulator
- Holding tank waste digester
- Rubber gloves
If you are looking for specific brands, check out our Amazon Shop for the items and brands we recommend.
We have found these resources in determining your towing requirements for your particular set-up particularly helpful:
- Trailer Life Magazine Towing Guides: Learn about towing capacity, ratings, set-up tips, and equipment. Search by year, make and model or trailer weight.
- Camping World Vehicle Tow Rating Finder: A quick way to determine what your vehicle’s towing capacity along with suggested RV’s that fit your vehicles rating.
- Ford’s RV & Trailer Towing Guide: Learn more about the different trailer weights and towing packages Ford offers (2003-present)
- Ram Trucks Towing & Payload Capacity: In addition to the model specific information, check out the Towing Basics tab on their page for a great explanation of common terms such as GCVW, GTW, Curb Weight and more.
- Chevrolet 2019 Trailering Guide: A downloadable guide that includes trailering tips and instructions in addition to model towing capacity.
- We found this video from Big Truck Big RV to be extremely helpful in helping us understand more about why paying attention to our ratings is so important.
How to tow your trailer – we found these articles and videos to be some of the best in helping us learn how to tow our trailer:
- Tips for Towing a Travel Trailer – Outdoorsy
- Top 20 RV Towing Tips – Long Long Honeymoon (video)
- How to deal with Sway when towing – Big Truck Big RV (video)
- How to Back Your RV into a Campsite – Bucars RV Center (video)
Additional accessories that may be needed if you are towing a travel trailer:
- Sway control
- weight distribution hitch
Check out this article “Common Weight Distribution and Sway Control Questions”
Hooking up your RV at your campsite
Simple and easy to follow steps to hook up your sewer, water and electric at campgrounds!
BLACK TANK BONUS: Check out this video for an extra tip!
Disclaimer: We are not RV or travel experts. We share our opinions and what works for us, but you should do your own research.