Nothing beats taking the chill out of your bones like a warm bowl of soup. Make it inexpensive and easy to make and count me in! This 1860 recipe as found in Civil War Recipes Receipts from the Pages of Godey’s Lady’s Book is a perfect example and can be made in no time.
- 4 potatoes (suggest golden potatoes)
- 2 slices of bread
- 6 leeks
- 3/4 cup of rice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Bring to boil in a large pot, 2 quarts of water
- Peel and cut up potatoes into bite size pieces
- Peel and cut the white portion of the leeks into thin slices
- Add potatoes, leeks and bread into pot
- Once the contents in the pot start to boil again, add in the rice and salt (suggest 2 tsp) and pepper (suggest 1 tsp).
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve.
This soup is very good as is, but it can also be used as a great base for other stews. Try adding some cooked chicken or other vegetables or instead of water, try a nice chicken or vegetable stock!
Check out some of our other posts!
- Free Camping in Florida at the DuPuis Management Area
- 2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS Tour
- A Look at the 2445 Travel Trailer from Lance
- Your Adventure Awaits with the Camp Rover from Xtreme Outdoors
- Boondocking Basics