Last week, I showed you how to make SPAM musubis and since I had a bit of nori left over, I decided to make our daughter’s favorite – California Rolls!
Russ and I met while we were in the Air Force many, many years ago. So we were incredibly proud when our daughter, Kiana, decided to join the Air Force as well. She represents the fourth generation of our family to serve in the USAF and recently got married to a wonderful young man who is also in the Air Force.
Kiana would always ask me to make this recipe and now, whenever I make this, it is hard to not think of her as I do so. Now that we have our Little Guy Max, we definitely plan on getting out to visit her more often!
Before I get into the recipe, I want to share a little hack for giving me more workspace in the kitchen. Pull the dinette table over towards the sink and it provides a nice L-shaped counter area to really spread out while cooking.
- 1 1/2 C of Calrose (or any sushi rice)
- 1 cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 lb crab meat (imitation crab meat is fine)
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 C rice vinegar
- 3/4 C mayonnaise
- salt & pepper to taste
YIELD: 15-18 pieces (you can actually make more if you double the rice
- Bamboo sushi mat
- Silicone spoon and spatula
- Manual food chopper / mixer
- Measuring cup
- Serrated knife
- Pot to cook rice not the same as the one used but similar. Any pot with a cover with work. I like the size of this one as it does not take up a lot of space on the stovetop while cooking.
- PREPARE CRABMEAT FILLING: Chop up the crabmeat, add in the mayo and garlic powder (you can also add in salt and pepper to taste). Mix well and put in the refrigerator to chill.
- PREPARE RICE: Put uncooked rice into a container and rinse/strain several times until water runs clear enough for you to see the rice through the water. Place cleaned rice into pot and add 2 cups of water and let sit for 15 minutes.
- COOK RICE: Bring rice to a low boil, put the cover on the pot and reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes. When rice is done cooking, remove from stovetop and mix in the rice vinegar.
- WHILE RICE IS COOKING:
- Peel the cucumber, scoop out the seeds and cut into long, thin strips.
- Peel the carrot and cut into long thin strips. 3. Cut avocado in half, score lines and scoop out. Continue to cut pieces into strips.
- ASSEMBLE THE ROLLS
- Place a sheet of nori onto the bamboo mat
- Using a rubber spatula, spread rice evenly over the entire surface
- Spread some mayo over the top of the rice, which will help smooth and even out the rice layer further.
- Scoop out some of the crab meat mixture and place in a horizontal line on the lower half of rice.
- Place a strip of cucumber just above the crab mixture and a strip of carrot below (sandwiching the crab mixture between them). Place avocado pieces on top of the crab mixture.
- Roll from the bottom to the top, exerting equal pressure. Set aside, seam side down. If needed, dip a finger in water and run along the seam.
- The ends are typically messy and uneven so I will cut off the outer ends (I usually have someone lingering close by to gobble them up!). Continue to slice into pieces to your desired thickness.
Disclaimer: We are Amazon Affiliates and by clicking on our links and purchasing items we may receive a small percentage from the purchase price of your item (no additional cost to you). Funds go directly help support our channel – thank you so much for your support!