Well the day started off great!
The last few days have been quite windy and a bit overcast, so when we awoke this morning to nearly cloudless skies, sunshine and just enough warmth to go outside without a jacket or sweater on we took full advantage of it.
We pulled out the chairs, made some coffee and just enjoyed the beauty around us. At one point I went inside and as I came back out, I saw Russ standing there – totally lost in the moment….
We had plans to get quite a bit done today. The one we were most excited about was taking the drone out. Russ has had some issues controlling his drone but we were able to download the software to my phone and were going to test it out.
As I was taking the drone out of the box, I was occasionally picking up an odd smell nearby. I asked Russ if he smelled anything, to which he replied he did not. At first I thought it was something from outside. The evening before, three other campers came into the area so I was thinking it could be one of them burning something. I can be a bit of a worrier at times and couldn’t let this one go. Looking like a bloodhound, I started sniffing every inch of the rig that I could. My heart skipped a beat when I realized I wasn’t imagining the smell – it was coming from under the bench seat where all our solar components are located.
We immediately tossed aside the cushions and removed the cover.
This is what one of two of our solar charge controllers looked like. We immediately turned off all power and tried to think of what to do next.
“What are we going to do?”
“We’re going to have to leave this spot early.”
Those were our first thoughts. After a few phone calls, the fear of having the RV go up in flames had subsided we were able to think a bit more rationally. Fortunately, our system had a front and rear solar system and one was still functional. We were able to disable the damaged one by unplugging the damaged controller and removing the wires going in/out. We are operating off 320 watts of solar for the time being. We realized that we only had 100 watts on our Little Guy Max and we functioned just fine with that for over six months. We’re in a good spot, with plenty of sun so we have decided we can stay the week as planned.
We don’t know what caused the issue but we are thankful the damage was contained to the wire and the solar charge controller. After some research, it should only cost us about $75 to repair.
There was a time something like this would have stopped us in our tracks. Our time as fulltime RVers has taught us to be resourceful, have patience and try to find the silver lining in any situation. What could have been a horrible day is ending with a cookout….