I don’t know why, but making mashed potatoes was always a weak point for me. They either came out like mush or paste. Being the stubborn person that I am, I didn’t give up trying and I have finally found a foolproof recipe that has already received rave reviews and will be gracing the table this Thanksgiving for sure! I do have to give a shout out to my husband for the many years of being my official taste tester.
To make this incredibly easy recipe, gather together the following:
- 7lbs of potatoes
- 1/4 C butter
- 1/4 C milk
- 1/4 C sour cream
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 6 C water
- Peel and wash your potatoes
- Slice potatoes (about 1/2″ thick) and place into your InstantPot
- Add water
- Place InstantPot cover on unit and lock in place, make sure the vent is closed. Set on High Pressure or Manual (depending on your unit) for 8 minutes.
- Immediately vent after timer cycle ends. When steam is finished, open cover and strain out the water.
- Add in butter, milk, sour cream, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix to desired consistency.
That’s it!! Clean up was a breeze and cooking this in any kitchen will be a snap. This typically takes me about 30 minutes from start to finish.
- If you cut the recipe in half, the cook time will remain the same.
- Make sure to immediately vent and strain after cooking or the potatoes will become overcooked and turn to mush.
Disclaimer: We are Amazon Affiliates and by clicking on our links and purchasing items we may receive a small percentage from the purchase price of your item (no additional cost to you). Funds go directly help support our channel – thank you so much for your support!